Grab my badge!

Sweethearts Tutorial

I began with paper mache hearts (I found these a few years back at Michael's in a discount bin but I have seen them since.)

I gathered up a collection of romantic ephemera and vintage bits and pieces.  Sometimes just seeing everything laid out inspires me in a direction for my project.

 

Begin by painting a base coat to fully cover paper mache.  I used two coats of Folk Art Acrylic Paint.  The base is warm white.  While the paint is still tacky, I added in a few shades of pink and blended directly on the heart in random strokes.

 

Now the real fun begins!  I like to layer my backgrounds, so after painting, I selected some Kaisercraft rub-ons that looked like old lace and doilies.  I randomly rubbed them onto the hearts.  Once many layers are applied, these rub-ons will be barely visible, however they definitely add dimension and character to the finished product.

 

Once I was satisfied with the placement of the rub-ons, I started to add another layer of color.  I used S.E.I Tumble Dyes and let them drip down the hearts.  These are fabric dyes, but the nice thing about this product is that they are waterproof.  Once sprayed, I do not have to worry about them smearing as I work.  I didn't want the hearts to look like they were dripping blood, so I quickly misted them with water to blend the dye and give a softer appearance.

 

 

 I loved the effect I was getting and felt I had a nice surface to start the decoupage process.  Using Mod Podge, I began to add all sorts of elements to my hearts.  I started with Tim Holtz Idea-ology Tissue Wrap.  I ripped pieces of the tissue and applied the Mod Podge to the surface of the heart and then again on top of the tissue once it was in place.  I also used ephemera roses and pieces of doilies.  I had some left over art tissue that I dyed from another project and punched out pieces of it to apply.  I also punched butterflies and hearts from old and yellowed music sheets.

 

 I continued to add layers of ephemera and color until I was satisfied with the results.

 

I wanted to age the hearts a little and give them a 'worn' look, so using my fingers, I began to rub on streaks of antique white paint in random spots.  This really gave the project a 'shabby chic' look.

 

Next, I added just a touch of Glitter Mod Podge in various spots.  I didn't want the entire heart to be glittery, but I wanted to add a tiny bit of sparkle so the light would catch it.

 

I love the effect!

To finish off, I tied a bow out of gold tulle onto the hanger of the hearts.  There you have it . . . vintage shabby valentines you can use year after year!  Hope you like them!